Extended Mags are a type of passive gear featured in The Last Stand: Dead Zone.
Higher capacity magazines for your currently equipped weapon.
Ever since the first magazine-fed small arms were created, gunsmiths and manufacturers have always searched for ways to increase their firepower. These beefed-up magazines are among their many innovations; so whenever you're pinned in a corner by a hungry horde, you can feel free to spray 'n' pray with a little extra gusto.
Increases the ammo capacity of a survivor's equipped weapon by a percentage, depending on the Extended Mags' level and conditions. Variants can also alter reload speed by a percentage. It will also increase the equipped weapon's ammo cost, varying depending on how much the ammo capacity was increased.
- Magazine Case x 2
- Spring x 1
- Small Machined Parts x Variable (dependent on the item's Level and attachments/conditions)
How to obtainEdit
- Regular variants can be scavenged during Level 5+ missions.
- Tactical AR Mag subtypes can be scavenged during Level 30+ missions.
- Level 10 Custom variants can be crafted using 2 Hardened Metal, 4 Magazine Cases, 2 Small Machined Parts and 2 Springs at a Level 4+ Gear Bench for 6 after scavenging the required schematic.
- Level 12 Custom Large variants can be crafted using 4 Hardened Metal, 4 Magazine Cases, 4 Small Machined Parts and 2 Springs at a Level 4+ Gear Bench for 15 after scavenging the required schematic. Also requires a Level 12+ Engineer.
- Level 16 Custom Large variants can be crafted using 6 Hardened Metal, 8 Magazine Cases, 6 Small Machined Parts and 4 Springs at a Level 6+ Gear Bench for 20 after scavenging the required schematic. Also requires a Level 16+ Engineer and Fighter.
- Level 18 Large variants can be crafted using 5 Hardened Metal, 4 Magazine Cases, 5 Small Machined Parts and 2 Springs at a Level 8+ Gear Bench for 11 after scavenging the required schematic.
- Level 20 Custom Large variants can be crafted using 7 Hardened Metal, 8 Magazine Cases, 7 Small Machined Parts and 4 Springs at a Level 8+ Gear Bench for 25 after scavenging the required schematic. Also requires a Level 20+ Engineer and Fighter.
- Custom, which increases ammo capacity by 5% and reload speed by 5%.
- Large, which increases ammo capacity by 10%.
- Mid, which increases ammo capacity by 5%.
- Damaged, which decreases reload speed by 2.5%.
- Tactical AR Mag: An extended speed loading mag designed for Assault Rifles. Increases Ammo Capacity and Reload Speed. They can only be used with Assault Rifles.
Obviously, this gear is completely useless to a survivor with a melee weapon, so it should not be given to them. They're also less effective on support classes such as the Scavenger or Medic than their favoured gear (Hand Wrap/Gloves and First Aid Kit/Medical Kit, respectively)
They are also useless on single-shot weapons such as the Van Buren, as they cannot statistically increase their capacity beyond 1 (increasing the capacity to 2 would require an increase of at least 50% if the increase is rounded up, and 100% if it is not).
The optimal weapon type for them are SMGs or Assault Rifles, due to their already high capacity magazines. The extended mags will increase it yet further, allowing them to lay down even more fire before having to reload, thus improving overall effectiveness.
Shotguns and rifles are also viable. Though their smaller magazine sizes mean they gain less of a benefit, their higher damage per shot means even 1 or 2 extra shots could have the effectiveness of several shots from an automatic weapon. It also means that the survivor wielding them will spend slightly less time reloading.