Area + 3
A stretch of highway on the outskirts of the city.
A short stretch of highway on the outskirts of the city.
With the spread of the infection, signs of the initial panic still remains in the Dead Zone to this day. The highways leading in and out of the city — arteries that once provided Union City with its precious supplies — lie in ruins. Dead bodies and the vehicles of those who tried to escape to the countryside litter the road while wrecked humvees and police interceptors echo the failed attempts at evacuation. In the surrounding forest lies hordes of undead, waiting for their next unfortunate victim.
- Medium - large amounts of food, water, ammunition, components and junk are likely to be found here.
- Some weapons and gear can also be found.
- Other resources can occasionally be found.
The level of a Highway is always 3 levels higher than the area it is in.
Either a large or small map with plenty of zombie spawns position all over, the highway consists of several obstructions in the form of vehicles, humvees, and debris scattered across the map. While they do not block the line of sight or obstruct bullets, they can make travel difficult for both survivors and zombies. The safest tactic is to move as a group, with several combat-oriented survivors guarding the designated scavengers.
The large amount of open space available lends itself to the use of medium-long range weapons such as long and assault rifles. Shoes may be a good choice of gear for slower survivors, especially fighters, since a lot of ground has to be covered.
- Highways are never located in the center of a district; they lie closer to or at the borders.
- Sometimes, all vehicles on the map will be colored while, although their colors are usually randomly chosen.
- Short variants are present before unlocking Brookvale, while normal variants appear from Brookvale onwards.
- It is rather unusual to find large highway-wide barricades considering that the infected could easily pass around it through the forests, though it may indicate the last desperate attempts made by survivors to hold off the infected.