A safehouse is a type of location featured in The Last Stand: Union City. It is the only place where the player is allowed to sleep. They usually contain supplies such as ammunition, food, weapons, and sometimes other survivors, with whom the player can interact with to accept quests. Zombies do not spawn in safehouses, making them good places to regenerate health.
Safehouses have beds, which the player needs to use to sleep in Survivor mode and to heal in both Run & Gun and Survivor modes. Tiredness reduces the player's Precision and Intellect. Safehouses also contain Storage Footlockers, which enable the player to drop off items and pick them up later at any safehouse.
- 8 Smith Street, the left-most house on Smith Street. Contains 3 NPCs (Jackson, Sarah and Peter) as well as a Dull Kitchen Knife and a Wild Man skillbook.
- Plenty Phone, the left-most building on 8th Avenue. Contains a Sawn Off, some Shells, and an ammo stockpile, which contains some .45 ammo, 9mm ammo and more shells.
- A room with "Alive Inside" written on the wall next to it on the fourth floor of Union City South Hospital. Contains 2 NPCs named Laura Harris and Shenice Johnson. It also contains a few cans of soda and some cash.
- The Union Security building near the middle of Houston Street. Contains 3 NPCs (Tyrel Johnson on the first floor, and Keith McNulty and Todd Stephens on the second floor) and a Police Baton, some ammo, UCPD Pants, Union Security Shirt, and Businessman, Nightwatchmen, and Batter Up! skillbooks. A gun cage is present, but is locked until the Security Failure quest is completed. The gun cage contains some ammo and:
- A maintenance room near the middle of the subway tunnel in Penhock Station, near the exit to Uptown. Contains a Heavy Crowbar, some 5.56 mm ammo, a Pocket Knife, a Pipe, and a Note.
- The roof of Whistler Hotel. Contains an ammo stockpile with some .45 Cal, 9mm and shells, a Hunter Compact, a G17 Pistol, Bandages and a Medkit.
- The basement of Harrison & Harrison Broking, which is to the right of the entrance to the HERC Outpost. Contains a Heavy Crowbar.
- A warehouse near the middle of North Wharf Road. Contains 4 NPCs (Jane Tolsh, Shawn Smith, Dana, and Jack).
- The Freewill Unionist Church is on Stanton Drive. There is an SOS sign hung on the front. Inside, there is a Note, and the doors to the sides are unusable, despite having the interaction icon.
- 10 Main St., the first house on Main Street is a safehouse. Contains 2 NPCs (Lisa Granger and Phillip Best, who both have quests), very little cash, lots of ammo, and food.
- There is a glitch where zombies sometimes spawn in a safehouse if the player enters the safehouse right when a zombie rush occurs.
- Union Island is the only area in the game that does not have a safehouse.