The Last Stand: Union City, often abbreviated as TLS:UC or UC, is the third game in The Last Stand series. It was released on July 20, 2011 on Armor Games, September 25, 2011 on Kongregate, and September 27, 2011 on Newgrounds.
Welcome to the beginning.
A worldwide epidemic has just occurred, causing the infected to die and then rise as monstrous undead cannibals. The U.S. government struggles to keep order, but each day they lose more ground to the swelling hordes now roaming the countryside and the city streets.
The end has finally come; it was only just a matter of time.
You, the player, must now take on the role of a resident of Union City - a fictional metropolis located on the east coast of North America. Amidst the chaos of a zombie apocalypse, the player must survive by scavenging for food, weapons and other supplies, finding safehouses to take shelter in, and fighting off the city's infected population, whilst meeting other survivors along the way who may accompany the player and/or give them various quests to complete, all in lieu of fulfilling the game's main storyline: to find your spouse, who is lost somewhere in the city.
The story begins when the player, driving home to Union City from work, collides with a zombie, which kills it but also causes the player's car to crash into a telephone pole. As the player exits their ruined car, they see other damaged and abandoned cars scattered all over the road leading into the city. The player then helps another survivor cut through a military fence blocking off access to the city.
After this, the player fights their way to their apartment in Brookvale, where they find a note written on the wall by their spouse, who has left to help out at the Hospital in Canal Park. Once they reach the Hospital, however, they find that their spouse had been taken to the local Stadium by the military, along with several other survivors. The player then fights their way to the Stadium, passing through Newtown and Uptown along the way.
After visiting the Stadium, it is revealed (with the help of Barry, another survivor) that HERC,[n 1] the organization charged with containing the outbreak, has taken the player's spouse for experimentation at one of their outposts located in Uptown, revealing a deeper conspiracy likely involved with the creation (or eradication) of the undead. After the player escapes the quarantined Stadium, they fight their way back to Uptown.
The player saves their spouse from the HERC Outpost and escapes to the Docks, where the couple meets Jack (The protagonist of The Last Stand and The Last Stand 2), who is leading a group of survivors, who informs them all but one boat had been destroyed, with the last one being defended by HERC.[n 2] After destroying the obstructions set up by HERC, the player and their spouse finally escape Union City, leaving Jack and his crew behind, who state they will find another way out.
In the final cutscene, however, the boat stalls, likely from engine failure or lack of fuel. Just before the screen fades to black, a familiar growling noise is heard....
Weapon Attachments and Conditions Edit
- Main article: Weapon Attachments and Conditions
Weapon Attachments and Conditions affect the various statistics possessed by weapons.
- Main article: Clothing
There are various different articles of clothing available to wear, most of which are purely cosmetic.
Stats and Skills Edit
Skill Books Edit
- Main article: Books
Skill Books can be used to increase certain skills, depending on the book being used. Reading a Skill Book consumes it.
Supplies are a requirement for survivors to get by in Union City, as they help to heal wounds and satisfy your growling stomach. They are divided into food and drink and medical supplies. The effects of food and drink vary depending on the game mode chosen.
Survival Kit Edit
- Main article: Survival Kit
You can view your available quests by accessing the Journal.
The sidequests given by Darnel Brown consist of items which you have to find and return to him. Since most of them are classed as Junk, they'll be listed here so the player knows what not to throw away.
- Heavy, Man:
- 1 Broken Pipe
- 1 Paper Weight
- Something Spikey:
- 1 Broken Board
- 2 Bag of Nails
- 1 Roll of Tape
- Keeping It Quiet:
- 1 PPM 9 Pistol
- 1 Welding Rods
- 1 Broken Pipe
- 1 Metal Sheeting
See Quest for a full listing.
See Union City Weapons.
Tips and Tricks Edit
- Main article: TLS:UC Tips and Tricks
- There are posters for a "Hip Hop Ninja" located throughout the city. This may be a reference to the Fast4Ward iPhone app "Hip Hop Ninja".
- There are posters for a game called BattleCraft located throughout the city. This may be a reference to the Warcraft series of video games by Blizzard Entertainment. It may also be a reference to the Battlefield series of first-person shooters by Electronic Arts.
- The Red Rum, located in Newtown, is a reference to the novel and movie "The Shining", by Stephen King.
- Union City might be based on its real-life counterpart in New Jersey, close to New York. Fort Tran is the game version of the real-life Fort Lee, which is very close to the real Union City.
- Throughout the game, abandoned Mercedes-Benz C-Class W202 models and Generation IV Dodge Caravans can be seen on some streets.
- The main character's car is possibly based on a mid-70s Chevrolet.
- ↑ Homeland Environmental Risk Control
- ↑ It is unknown whether there is really only one boat left. Jack uses the plural form, boats, when speaking to the player. However, only one boat is seen in the game
|This article is a Featured Article. Its layout and content is an example of excellence on The Last Stand Wiki.|
Dates featured: September 2014
More about featured articles · View past articles · Vote on future articles