It was meant to be over. As it turns out, it's far from it.
After surviving for 20 days and nights, Jack and his fellow survivors were evacuated by the military via helicopter. But mid-flight, one of his group turns out to have been infected. They turn into a zombie, causing the helicopter to crash - Jack is the only one left alive.
A month later, whilst living on his own, Jack catches a radio broadcast announcing that an evacuation will be taking place out east at Union City; that in 40 days the last of the refugee boats and aircraft will leave, and then the mainland will be sealed off forever.[n 2]
Jack must reach Union City before this happens, but the path will be fraught with danger: he must gather weapons, other survivors, and supplies, and journey east through infested towns and cities - scavenging during the day, and defending various encampments at night.
Will Jack make it in time? Or will this nightmarish landscape become his permanent home?
During the course of the game, you travel to many different locations, listed here, in order of arrival in-game:
You start off in the small town of Glendale, having dragged yourself there after the helicopter crash. You have set up a barricade in the local tool store, allowing you to fend off the zombie attacks for a whole month, but now, you must move on.
You may move onto the sleepy little town called Whistler's Grove, where there are fewer zombies, but not much of anything else either, where you barricade yourself in the upper floors of a house...
...or you can go to the city of Claysburg, which has everything in ample supply, including zombies. You barricade yourself inside a church, using the pews as protection.
Resting in the small farming town of Aspenwood on your way to Jonestown, you set up defenses in a barn on the outskirts of the town.
Jonestown is the second largest city in the region, only Union City itself is larger. As a result, the zombie hordes are the biggest you've seen, but more of everything else is available as well. Now, you have the option of heading straight to Union City, or taking a detour to...
...Fort Tran, an abandoned military base, and the original destination for your helicopter. It has been overrun by zombies, but you manage to put together a wall of sandbags and prepare for the night. Weapons belonging to the military can still be found here, left behind by the retreating or dead soldiers.
The Last Stand 2 has two endings:
- If you reach Union City in less than 40 days, you win, and Jack and his band of survivors hide out in the Docks district of Union City, where they'll play a role in The Last Stand: Union City.
- If you take more than 40 days to reach Union City, you lose, and Union City is destroyed by saturation bombing. Now, it is only a matter of time before you join the ranks of the dead...
- According to The Last Stand: Union City, Jack went through Whistler's Grove, Jonestown and Fort Tran before reaching Union City, notably skipping Aspenwood, which is very difficult to do in the game.
- Jack's diary entries only pop up when he reaches a new town.
- ↑ The named date is based off the Newgrounds version. Whether the first release was on this date is unknown.
- ↑ This is inconsistent with the TLS:DZ Story Timeline. If Jack had waited a month, Union City would've been bombed and all forms of evacuations have ceased long before the events of the game.